Thursday, October 25, 2012

April 2012 - The Titanic 100th Anniversary - Part 2





April 2012 - the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic.  Edwardian Hat designs were in full swing.  Everyone seemed to have two or three events a weekend, and the entire month of April was a whirlwind of costumed events.  This is my second installment on three of the hats I pulled together for some of the events I attended. 

The San Diego Costume Guild attended the "Titanic" exhibit at The Natural History Museum in Balboa Park.  I needed to design and create a hat that would compliment my navy blue pinstriped 1910 Edwardian Suit. 






I mentioned in my prior hat post, that the Edwardian hairstyles played a "Big" part with these "Big" hats, in that the hairstyles would help seat the hats and give the hatpins something to catch onto to help anchor them.  I had attended an SDCG class on how to style hair for that Edwardian look.

I started with a vintage black straw, wide-brimmed hat with a wired rim.  The crown was short with a flat top.  I had a gold and navy striped taffeta that was a perfect match to the navy blue in my suit.  I covered the crown with the fabric, and hand sewed it in place.  Next, I moved on to a wide fabric strip to create the large bow for the front of the hat.  I sewed in a piece of thin wire all along the edge to give the strip support for the big bow.   From there, I selected several fluffy Ostrich feathers, hand curled each, and tacked to top of the brim.  This hat came together the fastest and easiest, and I really like the way it turned out. 





2 comments:

  1. I want to see more photos from all angles, of your hat as well as your darling outfit. You are only teeeeeeasing us!

    Greetings from Seattle, WA USA
    Lady Victoria of Essex
    www.CostumingInSeattle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Victoria! I will see about posting up another view of the hat & suit! Glad you liked the blog post!

      Delete