Monday, December 17, 2012

Two Really Are Better Than Just One!


In September 2012 I posted up a blog post on "Two are Better Than One" talking about how in Victorian times it was not unusual to see two bodices that matched one skirt.  I have attached a link to my blog post:

http://vintageattirew-dnalof2007.blogspot.com/2012/09/pretty-dress-of-day-challenge-two.html

Myself, Right, with my friend,  Ms Cindy P, 2012 President of the San Diego Costume Guild
Dinner Bodice
So, with that thought in mind, I ran into a similar situation, and opted for the same solution.  I had seven yards of  a dusty rose fabric, and two yards of a wool blend plaid.  I went with five yards for the skirt (including pleating), and then 1 1/2 yards for each of the bodices.  That left me with a half yard for the bonnet. 


Same skirt with a Plaid Day Bodice
I was able to achieve two different looks, one dinner and one day bodice; and both of the bodices worked with one skirt.  I find it very interesting to find myself in some of the same predicaments that ladies long ago may have found themselves in, and then using their vintage solutions for my modern day dilemma!  Enjoy!

 

5 comments:

  1. It was beautiful, Trudy. I have a black skirt that gets multiple use too, and will soon have a brown one, with a grey one in the wings. Its good to have multiple uses for our costumes.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just good to have multiple gowns! LOL Mix and match just makes it that much better! Need to see some of your multiple pieces please!

      Delete
  2. I adore the idea of swapping bodices, I plan to do that when I get a little better at making gowns. I like a lot of complementary colours like blue and purple, so this idea is good for me! Plus, I like the idea of the high neck day bodice, and a square neckline for evenings, and dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having multiple co-ordinated bodices and skirts gives you so many more options! Make sure to post up some pics when you get going!

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I want both those dresses! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete