Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Monday, November 26, 2012
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
What I really liked about these two fabrics together is that they have a matching sheen. The foundation skirt is a medium weight textured cotton with a great sheen to it, so I knew I needed something that would be comparable. The silk was a perfect match. The "foundation" skirt does a great job of adding some supporting structure for the apron/bustle to lay against! Nothing too fancy for the skirt and apron/bustle. I like the understated detail work, as the bodice is where all the detailing is focused!
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Preparation is a big part of a successful dye attempt. Have ALL your supplies handy, and think through the process, visualize it, before you begin. Know where you are going to start and where you are going to end your project ie: start in the kitchen near the stove for super hot water to properly dissolve the dye grains for your dye bath, then end at the washing machine. Next, are you going to go with a bucket for smaller jobs, the washing machine, or a tub for larger jobs? Take the time to think it through start to finish. You will be glad you took the time upfront to properly prepare and/or decide on your course of action.
When I started my dye project, I knew the color I wanted, the big question was, How do I get there? Purple was not one of the dye powder colors available the day I was shopping, so I knew I was going to have to mix it. The "Rit" brand is the tried and true standard, and powder is probably more desirable as it seems to be able to get a deeper, darker color dye than the liquid. However, the day I was shopping, there was no red powder dye either, so I went with the liquid version.
Several key factors for me: 1) Start soaking your fabric in hot water, or washing it is best, while you are setting up your supplies, for at least 20-30mins. 2) Boiling water is best for the first step of the dye bath to completely dissolve the dye powders. You will not be putting your hands in it at this stage, and maybe not at all, if you are really careful. I used a long wooden spoon for most of my project, and only touched the fabric once taking it from the tub to the washing machine at the end. 3) Set enough time aside for the entire project - give yourself 60 to 90mins from start to finish. 4) Always use 2-3 times more dye powder or dye liquid for best results. 5) Dyeing works best on Natural Fabrics ie: cottons, linens, and silks. 6) Determine where you are going to process your dye job. 7) Do not forget to add the salt or vinegar to the dye solution!
Friday, November 16, 2012
Thursday, November 15, 2012
YELLOW SILK PROMENADE DRESS & HAT, c. 1900
2-piece dress & hat: yellow figured silk bodice, cream lace yoke & high neck, black lace applied bands, white chiffon w/ black velvet ribbon shoulder scarf, yellow silk faille skirt w/ black velvet ribbon trim, black straw hat w/ cloth flowers & silk ribbons
|Top piece is cotton & bottom right piece is polyester|
So, back to the wedding gowns. The second gown looked to be a 1980's gown made of a heavy duchess silk satin that is just amazing. (I have plans for this one for a future project!) Again, it had some issues, one of which being such a dated design style, that the seller was just looking to unload it for a Halloween costume. Lucky me! So, my point here is sometimes, as a seamstress, we have to "think outside the bolt" and see potential in different places and different ways. Curtains, especially vintage curtains, have made for some fabulous ensembles. Re-purposed wedding gowns work. An embroidered Sari. Sheets and bedspreads. These are all basically pieces of fabric that are just waiting to start a new project with you!So, in conclusion, I dyed the first wedding gown a "plum" color to compliment the base color scheme of my Bustle Gown. I had enough fabric to create an apron/bustle combination using four yards with enough left over to use pieces for contrast on the bodice, and finally to make some small silk roses for the vintage hat I will will wear with the ensemble. I also kept the stays in the bodice and will probably re-purpose those for a corselette belt. Next, I used the ribbon-trimmed tulle underskirt to make a new 1950's petticoat. Lastly, I sold the vintage trim on the wedding gown on EBay for $10 plus s/h, so the finally cost of the silk gown ended up being approx $11. (Five yards of a silk faille could run approx $250) It's all about recycle and re-purpose! So, next time you are out shopping for fabric, don't just stop at the bolt!
|Vintage bridal trim sold for $10 on EBay|
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
When I look at this gown, it just makes me happy! I think it is the color combo - Cranberry silk with a matching Ivory and Cranberry Stripe with variegated sizing. Do you not just love it! I think it would be the perfect ensemble for a Christmas Tea!
Monday, November 12, 2012
I looked around the Internet for a Bustle Gown pattern. The pattern needed to have separate inserts in the bodice, include the Bodice, apron/bustle combo, and the foundation skirt all in one pattern, and have adjustable sizing. The Burda 7880 had all my requirements in this pattern, and was modestly priced. I purchased my copy on EBay for $14.