Friday, February 22, 2013

Dust Ruffle Petticoat - Those "In-between" Projects

Some of you reading this blog might be like me and my friends, in that we like to shop around at the local vintage antique markets, thrift shops, and antique malls for vintage textiles.  Next time you are out and about keep an eye out for a vintage dust ruffle!  This was a project I had sitting around for a couple of months, and finally sat down and committed myself.  It was quick and easy, less than two hours, and I very much like the finished look of this project. 

I took a beautiful cutwork, white cotton dust ruffle, full sized, trimmed the 12" gathered ruffle off, regathered it, and attached it to an existing petticoat to give it an updated "vintage" look.  The cutwork is just wonderful and eyelet detailing is so pretty!  I love how the finished petticoat turned out.  You will probably need a full sized or larger to trim out a basic petticoat.  If you go larger to a queen size, you might even be able to use the interior fabric for the body of the petticoat and simply add a drawstring or set in waistband.  Enjoy! 


5 comments:

  1. I have some gorgeous broderie anglaise trim that looks like it came off petticoats that I hope to use on my own pettis someday. Love recycling the old stuff.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to get a full ruffled undersheet at a secondhand shop once to do exactly this, but it had suspicious stains! :P I still intend to do it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good friend of mine gave me the dust ruffles and the idea. That is how she did a couple of her's, so I used her ideas as inspiration. It was such a great idea, I wanted to share it along..fun and easy! I need to do a black one next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete