Celebrating a love of vintage fashions from the 18th Century era to the 1950's. I encourage you to follow my blog and share in the photos, research, and creativity found herein.
Monday, August 11, 2014
Simple is as Simple does - Butterick 6074
This project started out with a vintage 1986 “Liberty of London” queen sized (90x102) cotton sheet, new still in package.What I loved about it was the pattern was printed on the diagonal to the grain of the fabric.As soon as I saw it, I knew it was going to be a Regency day dress. I had the Butterick 6074 in my stash, and thought this would be a great pattern to try with this fabric.I made up the View A pattern and modified the sleeves to elbow length, as I am not a fan of the short puffy ones.I used almost every inch of this sheet.The contrasting puffy sleeve cap and the bust insert were also part of the original sheet, and I simply incorporated the contrasting fabric into my dress as well.I like the way it turned out.I did not have any major problems with construction or fitting.(Some sort of period undergarment is going to make this dress look better than a modern bra.)It has the period correct neckline and bustline drawstring, plus it gives instructions to use a “corded” hemline, which I thought was pretty cool, and uses French Seams!It also has the little spiky sleeve cap detail, which is what sold me on the pattern to begin with!The dress calls for full lining, but I only did the bodice, which you have to do, as that provides the drawstring casing for the neckline.The bustline casing is a little different, in that the pattern calls for a hand-sewn, criss-crossed casing that sits inside the bustline insert.I was a little confused as to how far around this casing was suppose to extend, as the pattern illustration only shows it in the front, but I ended up sewing in my own casing all the way around, front to back, and this greatly improved the overall fit and look.Start to finish was probably about seven hours.