Saturday, July 9, 2016

2016 The Artistry of Outlander Costume Exhibit at The Paley Center

I was recently able to travel up to Beverly Hills to The Paley Center for Media to see The Artistry of Outlander Costume Exhibit.  The Paley Center is one block off Rodeo Dr, has underground parking, and offers free entrance with a`suggested $10pp donation.  I never found the underground parking, so I parked on the street and had to run out every hour to re-up my parking time on the meter.

All that aside, the Outlander Costume Exhibit far far far exceeded my expectations.  If you are going to be in the area before the exhibit ends,June 8 thru August 14, 2016, I highly encourage you to stop by and enjoy this amazing collection.

From a Costumers perspective, each article of clothing is a masterpiece.  The attention to each and every detail is exquisite, the metallic lace trims, the hand-painted fabrics, the hand stitching - was breathtaking.  In my opinion, these modern day creations can rival some of the most beautiful extant pieces of the same era!

I came to view the hand-painted muslin and then noticed that there were four other pieces that were also hand painted!  I am very curious as to how they achieved such exact definition.  I think they must have used some sort of "resist" in the paint liquid, such as what is used for silk scarf painting, and a tipped painting implement.  There was no bleed over of the paint and the lines are very precise.  As much as everyone will love the Red Gown, my heart was with the Hand-painted Muslin.

Here is the link to my full photo library, something like 140 pictures:

http://dnalofdesigns.zenfolio.com/p91296428

Here is the information on The Paley Center:

465 North Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Telephone 

310.786.1091 for information on scheduled activities Wednesdays to Sundays,
noon to 5:00 pm; 310.786.1000 for all other information.

Hours 

Mon. . . . . . . .Closed
Tue . . . . . . . .Closed
Wed . . . . . . .12:00 to 5:00 pm
Thu . . . . . . . 12:00 to 5:00 pm
Fri . . . . . . . . 12:00 to 5:00 pm
Sat . . . . . . . .12:00 to 5:00 pm
Sun. . . . . . . .12:00 to 5:00 pm
*The Paley Center is closed on these holidays: New Year's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  
Here is the details for The Artistry of Outlander:
https://www.paleycenter.org/the-artistry-of-outlander
Here are a few of my favorite Pictures:










3 comments:

  1. It always amazes me how unfinished the edges are but look exquisite when you stand back 5 ft. Makes me wonder why I try and do tiny stitches when really, it won't make much difference in how people see it.
    I love the outfit next to you (short pet en lair) in the photo.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved everything there was to see! The design, construction techniques, fabrics, trims, accessories were all simply amazing! Certainly worth the stop to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just shared a link to your blog on my Outlander-inspiration Pinterest page. Be prepared for a surge of visitors here. :)
      Val

      Delete