Tuesday, January 26, 2016

2015 Atlantis Pool Party - Costume College


McCall 3514 – View C w/Veil

McCall 3514 – View C w/Veil

Finally getting around to posting up some pictures from my first Costume College I had volunteered at the event before, but never attended as a student, so there was a lot more pressure due to the fact that I needed several different ensembles for the four day event.  Evening attire and “hall” dresses.  Originally I had eight pieces that I wanted to make, and I think I ended up with six finished items, and I will try to get a posting up for each one, probably just in time for the 2016 CoCo!!

When I was researching around for “Atlantis Pool Party” theme ideas, I kept running into
the Alphonse Mucha ideal, the father of "Art Nouveau" (1890-1910) with a mashup of Greek "Atlantis", the sunken city.  So, with those two concepts as my inspiration, I started looking around for a pattern that might fit into what I had in mind and came across the McCall 3514 pattern, and it was just perfect!  I went with View C and incorporated the veil as well.  



Now, in regards to my fabric choice, I was looking for something that had the Art Nouveau feel to it.  As luck would have it, I ran across a vintage, hand-painted, cotton organdy sari that was amazing in its color scheme and visual appeal.  Large painted, and gold-beaded, orange and pink roses with green leaves, so reminiscent of Art Nouveau!  I made an offer that was accepted and it shipped from India, taking four weeks to arrive.  During the waiting period I accumulated all the other items needed to complete this gown such as the thread, vintage buttons, vintage lace for the wrap-around ties, tiara with matching necklace and earrings, sandals, and a nice cream colored cotton for the lining.  I wanted a light background to really make the colors pop!

When the sari arrived, it was even more beautiful in person than in pictures, and I knew it was going to be perfect.  It took a little maneuvering to get the floral patterns to line up exactly as I wanted, and with the veil, I ended up using almost every square inch of the sari!  The lining and the bodice overlay were sewn together and treated as one piece, but the skirt lining and overlay were treated as two separate pieces and hemmed accordingly. It had a V-neck front with buttons down the back.  From first cut to completion took about a week, and I was very happy with the final product.  I felt it had the right look and feel of the era I was shooting for, but with a nod to the mythological Grecian City of Atlantis.  Enjoy!